Our Elementary Program
In Elementary (Grades 1 to 7), the focus is on Help Me Think By Myself.
The Elementary educational experience is anchored in our Montessori homerooms where two highly-trained, certified Montessori teachers guide learning. This is complemented by the work of specialist and teachers in Art, French, Music, Physical Education and Health, and Technology.
In addition to English, Math and the specialist subjects, students study Culture which combines an integrated approach to learning in diverse fields including Anthropology, Astronomy, Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Drama, Economics, Geography, Government, History, Philosophy, Physics, Political Science and Sociology.
By the end of the Elementary years, a student should be able to:
- Use a diverse range of communication methods
- Proceed as 21st Century learners who are globally and technically connected
- Transition from concrete to abstract reasoning, which leads to intellectual growth
- Extend their need to explore the natural and social environment
- Apply their global perspective, independent thinking and cooperative learning skills in new contexts
- Answer the big questions, such as “who am I?” “where did we come from?” and “why is life on earth the way it is?”
- Rely on a strong foundation of higher-level skills to find information, employ abstract thinking and imagination, and apply their thinking to real life
- Build on their well-developed soft skills, such as public speaking, communicating and negotiating, which are highly valued in high school, university and the work world
In addition, our Elementary students are committed to further developing their social, emotional and ethical skills for the purpose of making a positive difference in the world.
GRADE 1 WORK
GRADE 3 WORK
Communication with parents
Open lines of communication are extremely important at YMS.
- Verbal communication occurs at arrival and dismissal with a greeting and any pertinent information that needs to be shared.
- Formal parent-teacher interviews occur two times during the school year (November and April). Parents and teachers can request interviews at any time throughout the school year.
- Written reports in Elementary are provided three times a year (November, March and June).
- YMS holds monthly Parent Night (with the exception of December & March) to address questions about curriculum & programs. In addition, we run Open Houses, Montessori community events and Student Panels (Grades 4 and 7).