Our Elementary Program
In Elementary (Grades 1 to 7), the focus is on Help Me Think By Myself.
The Elementary educational experience is anchored in our Montessori homerooms where two highly-trained, certified Montessori teachers guide learning. This is complemented by the work of specialist and teachers in Art, French, Music, Physical Education and Health, and Technology.
In addition to English, Math and the specialist subjects, students study Culture which combines an integrated approach to learning in diverse fields including Anthropology, Astronomy, Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Drama, Economics, Geography, Government, History, Philosophy, Physics, Political Science and Sociology.
By the end of the Elementary years, a student should be able to:
- Use a diverse range of communication methods
- Proceed as 21st Century learners who are globally and technically connected
- Transition from concrete to abstract reasoning, which leads to intellectual growth
- Extend their need to explore the natural and social environment
- Apply their global perspective, independent thinking and cooperative learning skills in new contexts
- Answer the big questions, such as “who am I?” “where did we come from?” and “why is life on earth the way it is?”
- Rely on a strong foundation of higher-level skills to find information, employ abstract thinking and imagination, and apply their thinking to real life
- Build on their well-developed soft skills, such as public speaking, communicating and negotiating, which are highly valued in high school, university and the work world
In addition, our Elementary students are committed to further developing their social, emotional and ethical skills for the purpose of making a positive difference in the world.
GRADE 1 WORK
GRADE 3 WORK
Communication with parents
Open lines of communication are extremely important at YMS.
- Verbal communication occurs at arrival and dismissal with a greeting and any pertinent information that needs to be shared.
- Formal parent-teacher interviews occur two times during the school year (November and April). Parents and teachers can request interviews at any time throughout the school year.
- Written reports in Elementary are provided three times a year (November, March and June).
- YMS holds monthly Parent Night (with the exception of December & March) to address questions about curriculum & programs. In addition, we run Open Houses, Montessori community events and Student Panels (Grades 4 and 7).
The admissions process begins when you contact the school to schedule a tour or request an enrollment package through email. Deciding on a tour of our classroom’s will allow you the opportunity to meet the teachers and observe a class in progress. Once you have reviewed the package, and a space has been allocated to your child, the enrollment form is submitted and the appropriate fees and deposits are collected.
Elementary Classroom admission: please contact Dominic Bradford at email@example.com
The annual tuition fees may be paid in ten equal amounts by cheques payable to “Yukon Parents for Montessori Society” for children in the elementary program and post-dated for the first of each month starting with August 1, 2020 and ending with May 1, 2021. Instalments will be in the following amounts:
- Elementary tuition is $1050/month, total of $10500/year
- Elementary society fees are $25.00/year
- Elementary has a $200 activity fee/year
- After School monthly fee is $200 per month (3:30-5:00 pm)
- The deposit is one month’s tuition to be paid by June 2021 and will be June 2022 tuition
- Full day registration plus After School $1250/month, total of $12500/year
- Families that register more than one student will receive a 5% discount applicable to the monthly fee (excluding the After School program)
For a more detailed tuition schedule, including society fees and payment policies, please email to request a copy of our Montessori Borealis Preschool Family Handbook (preschool), or our Yukon Montessori School Handbook (elementary
After school program
At the Yukon Montessori School, our school day ends at 3:30pm. We recognize, however, that not all parents are in a position to end their own work day at 3:30pm. We therefore offer an After School Program (non-Montessori) each day from 3:30pm to 5:00pm for all current students, including those in the elementary grades.
Parents should request registration in the After School Program (five days a week) when submitting your child’s application for registration with YMS. Registration in the After School Program will be made on a first-come-first-served basis. Should the After School Program be full, a waiting list will be maintained.
Once your child is registered in our After School Program, that spot will be held for him or her. At any point after registration, should your child no longer require the spot, parents must provide the school with one month’s written notice.
Drop-in spaces in the After School program are available to family at a rate of $20/day on a first come, first served basis. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to enquire about availability.